Matt - Brittney - Mary Tyler - Cooper - Annie

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monday, February 23, 2009

a reason to blog...

sorry it's been since february 4th. been working a whole lot this past week. i have a very specific reason for this post. since i've been married (well technically since we've lived in Raleigh), i've cooked a lot of dinners. We've probably only gone out to eat about 5 or 6 times in the 4 months we've been here. I haven't really cooked the same thing twice, because i've been experimenting with so many different recipes. i like trying new things. there have been several things i made that REALLY stuck out, but tonight was unlike any other. i made THE BEST baked potato soup ever. Since I was little i always loved potato soup (ordering at restaurants like Fatz, O'Charley's, Outback, etc. to mention some of my faves). I found this recipe that is supposed to be like Tony Roma's Baked Potato Soup. Of course I tweaked it a little. (I used to NEVER tweak recipes but i think ive gotten a lot more confident since i first started cooking and I change things around a good bit now) Anyway. I HAVE to share this recipe with yall. It is TRULY outstanding, and next time I have company, this is what I'm going to cook, to be sure to impress!!!

Baked Potato Soup
Garnish

  1. Wash potatoes thoroughly and microwave until tender.
  2. If you would like you can always bake in a 400 degree oven for one hour or until done.
  3. As the potatoes are cooling, melt your butter in a large saucepan and saute your onions until light brown.
  4. Add in your flour to make a roux.
  5. Add in your chicken broth, water, cornstarch, instant mashed potatoes and spices and bring to a boil.
  6. Reduce your heat and simmer for about 5 minutes.
  7. Take your cooled potatoes and peel off the skin and chop up into desired pieces.
  8. Add in your chopped up potatoes and the heavy whipping cream to your soup and bring it back to a boil.
  9. Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until it is thick.
  10. Garnish with cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon and green onions.
That really is 10 steps to heaven. mmmm mm! I made some cornbread (wish I would have made homemade) to go with it, and it went together perfectly. I have been spoiled my whole life eating my Nanny's homemade cornbread. I found a deal on one of those little cornbread mixes (like muffin mix) and it was not that great. I'll make homemade next time. Let me know if any of you try this recipe, you should!!

B

1 comment: